Accusations of Spousal Abuse or Arrested for Domestic Violence?
Our Hayward Spousal Abuse Defense Attorney Protects Rights of the Accused
Spousal abuse allegations can make it seem like your life is deteriorating around you. All the while, you want to be financially stable and take care of your children. With so many disturbances already present in your home, it can be difficult to navigate spousal abuse allegations. These charges can not only disrupt your life, but tarnish your reputation and affect child custody. If your spouse is accusing you of domestic violence, our Hayward spousal abuse defense attorney can help.
The Law Office of Louis J. Goodman believes in protecting those accused of spousal abuse. We know how difficult this time can be for you and your family. Our spousal abuse defense law firm believes this accusation should not define you for the rest of your life. With over 30 years of experience, our Hayward and San Jose domestic violence attorney can help you at any stage of a spousal abuse claim. Ultimately, we can work to dismiss or reduce the charges against you.
How Do I Defend Myself From Accusations of Spousal Abuse?
Some people wonder how to defend against domestic violence charges. After all, domestic abuse claims can be life-altering. It is important for you to know that you do have defense options. A Hayward attorney can help you mitigate risks and protect your best interests. If you have been arrested for spousal abuse in California, the longer you wait, the more time alleged evidence can pile up against you. Additionally, the more time that passes, the longer your legal process may take, leaving a bigger economic impact.
Some common defenses our Hayward spousal abuse attorney can use may involve:
- Self Defense: It could be that you face spousal abuse allegations even though you are actually the victim. If you are the victim of spousal abuse, we can claim you acted in self-defense.
- Lack of or Insufficient Evidence: Most of the time, spousal abuse claims involve injuries or emergency calls. The prosecution may use these injuries and call records as evidence against you. However, if there are no emergency calls, pictures of injury or a medical report listing injuries, then you can use this as an insufficient evidence defense.
- Misleading or False Accusation Defense: The fact of the matter is that the charges against you may be misleading or false. If this is the case, your spousal abuse charges can be thrown out. Ultimately, we can work to highlight facts that prove your charges are taken out of context and are invalid.
What Do I Do If My Spouse Gets a Restraining Order?
A California restraining order is also known as a “protective order”. They are designed to protect a person from abuse. Unfortunately, requests for a restraining order can be abstract, involving many “he-said-she-said” situations. Ultimately, the court will use many factors when determining a ruling. Since it can be difficult to determine the accuracy of restraining order claims, you might have questions.
Some common questions people ask when dealing with a restraining order in California include:
- Who Can Get a Restraining Order? There are almost no limitations for a person seeking a restraining order. However, for a judge to award a restraining order, certain acts must be established. For example, any act of assault, criminal mischief, harassment, lewdness, threats and false imprisonment can constitute a restraining order.
- What Does a Restraining Order Do? After going into effect, a restraining order can prevent an abuser from having contact with the victim. This includes in person, over the internet, by phone or other modes of communication. In addition, the abuser can be asked to leave a residence if the victim is there.
- How Long Does a Restraining Order Last? Ultimately, this will be determined by the courts. Some can last for years, or even indefinitely. Initially, there will be a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) issued that lasts for a ten day period.
Arrested for Spousal Abuse? Our Firm Offers Free Initial Consultation
Is your relationship strained with your spouse? Are you facing spousal abuse charges as a result? We know how confusing and traumatic these claims can be. A spousal abuse conviction can brand you for life, tarnishing your reputation and affecting close relationships. In order to beat these allegations, you need a reliable Hayward spousal abuse defense attorney that can mitigate risks. Our firm can defend you against a wide range of allegations. No matter the context of your charges, we can help build a strong defense.
At The Law Office of Louis J. Goodman, your consultation is always confidential. Our staff is adaptive and accommodating regardless of the circumstances of your case. Our goal is to provide you with reliable defense strategies while compassionately guiding you the process. With a free consultation, we can review the details of your case and let you know how we can help. Call our Hayward office at (510) 582-9090 or contact us online to schedule your consult. Proudly serving Fremont, Oakland, San Jose, Dublin and surrounding areas.