Facing criminal charges is no laughing matter. Both your personal and professional reputations are at stake. It is important that you obtain legal representation as quickly as possible. However, it is possible to make your situation worse by choosing the wrong attorney. Luckily, there are questions you can ask a Dublin criminal defense attorney during your initial consultation to help you make an informed decision. These questions include:
- What are the fees and costs for your legal services? During an initial consultation, an attorney should be upfront about the costs for his or her legal services. You should also have a conversation about the amount of defense investigation that needs to be done to prepare for trial. These services cost money, and it is important to discuss this before making a decision.
- Do you have experience defending clients whose cases were similar to mine? A Dublin criminal attorney should be willing to provide you with references and openly discuss his or her legal experience. Having experience working within the criminal justice system means that an attorney is in a better position to advocate on your behalf.
- What are my legal options? At the end of your initial consultation, an attorney should have a preliminary evaluation of the case against you. He or she should have a general idea of the legal strategies they would use to defend you at trial. If a criminal defense lawyer is unwilling to discuss your legal options, then you should consider looking elsewhere.
- Are there any actions I can take to help my legal situation? Often times, there are steps you can take to improve your chances for legal success. An attorney should have a list of information or records that you can provide to help him or her craft your legal defense. You should also ask about enrolling in classes, counseling or programs that could help lessen your sentence.
- Why are you the right attorney to handle my case? Every criminal defense attorney in Dublin, CA should have an elevator pitch explaining why you should retain his or her legal services. If the response you receive is not persuasive or lacks specificity, then you should continue your search for legal representation.
Schedule a Free Initial Consultation With a Dublin Criminal Defense Attorney
When facing a criminal charge, you need experienced legal counsel. Dublin criminal defense attorney Louis Goodman has spent over 30 years defending individuals from varying degrees of criminal charges. As a former Alameda County Deputy District Attorney, he knows what tactics prosecutors will use to increase the likelihood of a conviction.
If you have been arrested or are under investigation, then contact the Law Office of Louis J. Goodman today at (510)582-9090 and schedule a free initial consultation. You can also contact our criminal defense law firm online and tell us more about your case.
Attorney Louis J. Goodman, speaks about guns and gun charges in the State of California. Watch as he sheds light on legal matters concerning this issue.